Titanic Movie Info is Really a Snopes Joke

Tell us what you think.

Titanic Movie Info is Really a Snopes Joke

Postby pattycatx6 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

When the Titanic hit an iceberg in the north Atlantic, the film The Poseidon Adventure was the movie being screened aboard ship. Click Here to see proof

Go to your Snopes link, click on the "More information about this page" link. It will take you here.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.asp

There were no movies shown aboard the Titanic.
pattycatx6

Postby Walt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Hi patty and first of all thanks for joining the discussion.

I work really hard to validate everything I put in my odd facts page. Yes the duck quacking thing is there but who else has Hitler's phone number or the serial number off of Oswald's rifle. Both snippets gleaned from the folks at the History Channel.

Now, about this Titanic thing. Since i was a little boy I was fascinated about the Titanic. Maybe because I drowned in 1967. The folks at Snopes and I went round and round about the Poseidon movie. They eventually posted what they did. But their rendition has holes in it.

1. In offering her First Class passengers the latest and greatest, the Titanic did have not one but two movies playing on board.

2. Okay you got me, it wasn't "The Poseidon Adventure" is was "Poseidon". The 1975 Irwin Allen movie we all think about was a remake of the original Cecil D. DeMill production. It happened to be one of the first movies to actually have a plot. Up until then you put a penny in a box at the fair and cranked a handle and saw stuff like a horse running or people kissing. Shit like that.

3. The novella the movie was based on was not "Futility" but "The Wreck of the Titan". It was first published in 1876 not 1899.

Before you yell bullshit or shenanigans. My ORIGINAL reference was a real cool and real old book on the RMS Titanic. My beloved ex-wife swiped that and a bunch of other family keepsakes just to piss me off.

I continue to research this odd but true fact to find another reference.

The Wreck of the Titan

P.S. I also post things in Odd Facts in such a way as to produce discussion and interaction with my readers. I always post reader submitted corrections.
Join the Forum and comment on this post.
Walt
Site Admin

Postby pattycatx6 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:43 pm

I too have been a huge Titanic fan since youngest child-hood and this is a tidbit that I have never heard before. I have a large library of Titanic books both period and modern and none of them have ever mentioned that movies were shown on board. Can you remember the name of the book that you got your information from? I am not trying to pick on you, I am just interested in setting the story straight. I am facinated by Titanic trivia and would be interested in knowing that this was indeed true.
pattycatx6

Postby Walt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Remember when Ballard found (?) the Titanic? I was in Germany at the time and bought a book about the expedition. It had the movie story in a trivia sidebar. I can't remember for the life of me what the title is. I'm getting old :roll:

Did you catch the Ballard special on National Geographic Channel? About him being on a secret mission and finding(?) the Titanic was the cover story.
Walt
Site Admin

Postby pattycatx6 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Yes, I knew about that. Actually Ballard WAS looking for the Titanic, but he sold the Navy on using their secret side scanner sonar while doing it. Smart man. He could never have afforded the search on his own.
pattycatx6

Postby Walt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 pm

True, he first approached the Navy buddy but then the Navy recalled him to active and "turned him". Go Navy! :cheer:
Walt
Site Admin

Return to Odd Facts Feedback