Can You "Pray Away the Gay"?

Opinions and discussions on Lesbian,Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues.

Can You "Pray Away the Gay"?

Postby Walt » Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 am

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqMuY4Z8PtQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqMuY4Z8PtQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Join the Forum and comment on this post.
Walt
Site Admin

Postby Walt » Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 am

This question goes to the heart of the issue. Nature versus Nurture? Is homosexuality a biological condition or a choice of life styles? Personally, I think it's a little from column A and a little form column B. While I believe the vast majority of Gay Folk are "Gay from Birth", there is a small segment that for various reasons "Choose to be Gay".

The stereotypes:
Every Woman is five shots from a lesbian affair.
Women confuse hating men with loving women.
Men "Turn Gay" when they are raised by women and have no strong male role model.
Homosexuality is a mental disease.

With every stereotype, there is a nugget of truth. The Pray Away the Gay movement counts its "success" when someone living on the fringe of the LBGT community is "cured".

I disagree with this point of view. Rather than Homosexuality being a mental disease, I feel it is in some cases a symptom of other Life Issues.
It is these folks (with counseling and therapy) that can "cross the line" and be "cured".

If someone is TRULY gay, the possibility of a "cure" is about the same as raising the dead. Hmmmm....another religious claim?
Join the Forum and comment on this post.
Walt
Site Admin

Return to LGBT Issues